Monday, November 4, 2013

Changing lives through sponsorship

OK.. so we will start with a virtual apology. The blogging thing didn't go as planned in Africa. Maybe next time ;)

We got home and life got crazy. We packed our home of 10 years and 3 kids in about 3 weeks and moved into a home literally given to us by God (not free-just all His will and plan- blessing upon blessing). We knew He was blessing us with this big house to foster, and we thought, "No problem God, we will get to that.... like after the holidays...maybe in the summer.... etc." God reminded us not about us and our plans. He placed a burden and a brokenness in my heart I can never put into words. God lead us through the detours to Ebenezer Children's Home, and we completed our course-work a few weeks ago and are in the process of becoming a licensed family.

Ok. So that was the short version to catch some of you up, but the reason that I am writing this blog today is to talk to you about sponsorship. Uh oh--2 people just clicked the exit button and 5 more rolled their eyes. Stay with me folks... please!

I know we see stuff on tv and at every Christian concert and event about sponsorship. Some of us even have an African hanging on our fridge. We can check a box or raise our hand when asked, "Who here has answered the call of sponsoring a child?" If this is you-- just please keep reading.

We began sponsoring Caroline through World Vision 6 years ago. Let me not lie, Joe sponsored Caroline and paid for it. At first I didn't get it. How do we know this is not a scam? What is this money really doing for her? I was very skeptical and was not at the same place as Joe. But then I began to see how sponsoring Caroline impacted my own daughter. We prayed for Caroline every night. We talked about how her life was different from ours. Kyla (my daughter) and Caroline are a few weeks apart. It has been amazing watching them grow. We love getting pictures and seeing updates. So it has been a positive experience, one we continue, but not something I jumped into with both feet.

This past year we have had the opportunity through His Chase to sponsor students to leave the orphanage and for the first time get a quality education in boarding school. Wait a minute... this was different. No longer was this a picture on a card (which I thought they made 25 copies of to get lots of money). These were the kids we met the previous summer. These kids had names and faces and hopes and dreams. Education, and the pursuit of it, is my passion in life. I know how it can change lives. And the lives of future generations.

It was so difficult to pick one child. We loved so many. There was also an opportunity to be matched as a pen-pal. Of course I chose to write some of the kids I knew, but I asked that I be matched with a kid chosen by (God &) His Chase. I was matched with Theogene, a 17 year old boy I had never met. We began written correspondence. When we found out we were going to Africa of course we were excited to meet him, but then we were told we wouldn't be able to. We were extremely disappointed. But then God, Mark, and Frank worked it out and Joe and I were able to leave the group and visit Theogene and the other students at King David.

This is the first time I got to see with my own eyes what sponsorship looks like. I saw this group of nearly 100 children- who months ago were orphans- were now these independent, confident, thriving young-adults. I have to say the anticipation built as all the other kids walked in and I waited to meet Theogene. I was really nervous. I even flat-ironed my hair that morning to look my best. :) When Theogene walked in the room I heard some of the kids say, "Your mom is here." When he came over to hug me, I held that boy and cried as if he came out of my uterus. I tried to snap out of it because I did not want to embarrass my boy. I can't even now explain why I felt so emotional. I was completely surprised by how much of a connection we shared. I felt so proud as I watched Theogene's face light up when his friends said, "Your mom and dad- They came here for you." We had a family album that we brought from home and in the front were the pictures I had of Theogene. Right there with all our family photos. I didn't really understand the impact of this until I saw Theogene's response. He is so shy, but his friends were saying, "Theogene. You are there. You are family." The expression on his face was priceless. This is a day I will never forget.

So a few days after meeting Theogene  we had the opportunity to visit Gashura Village, a community for genocide survivors. We were going to be walking around to the homes of these children and taking their photos and getting information to begin the sponsorship program. Sounded good- but I had no idea how this would change my life. Our group had 15 houses to visit. We would greet the adult (may be the mom, grandmother, etc.) and spend time listening to their story. The heartache and trauma shared are not my stories to tell, but time after time we learned of the devastating consequences of genocide, poverty, HIV, and lives lived with extreme hardship. But in this sadness we also witnessed how great our God is. His timing is perfect. His provisions are great. His joy was ever-present. I went into homes and prayed with many of these mothers. I saw they have so little, but their faith is so strong.

I got to see- and touch- and love- first hand these children and families that will be touched through Kunda sponsorship. I had no idea what their lives were really like. I didn't believe the photos on the internet. I just couldn't relate. I didn't get it. I know one day only gives me a glimpse, but I felt before we even left Africa that God was leading me to advocate for these children. He wants me to tell you this is real so that you may open your heart to changing a life. While we were there I was told by one of the leaders that health insurance for the kids is $6/year. I haven't fact checked this, but the source was legit. I spent more than that on lunch today.

I know some of us already sponsor kids, give our 10%, drop off clothes to Goodwill..... the list could go on. When I came home I wanted to sponsor 5 kids. Then I felt that I would be getting in the way of someone else's blessing. Then I haven't worked and I got scared and thought, "God, I can't do this right now." But I love Antoine. I held him in my lap and listened to his sweet voice read to me, and I can't let him down. I am being selfish in saying I can't afford $35 a month. I do enough already. Am I really living sacrificially so that I can bless others? When I think of these mothers and what they sacrifice for their children... I can only repent.

So please, if you have ever considered sponsorship, please be a life-changer for one of these children. I think about my mother-in-law that always says instead of gifts she wants us to do something nice for others. Could you sponsor a child in honor of a family member? What a special gift that would be. Are you trying to teach your children lessons about generosity/wastefulness, etc? Does this line work for you: "Do you know how many children are starving in Africa and you won't eat your ___!" Nope, doesn't work for me either. It's not real. Sponsorship makes it real. This child will become part of your family. When your child sees the mat your sponsored child sleeps on in a room of 5 on a dirt floor it changes them. As a family we have changed.  I know I have to stop writing now, but if you would like to discuss this any further or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for reading! Praying for you!
April   ankfaf@aol.com


To find out more or sponsor a child go to: www.bestfamilyrwanda.org

p.s You will be able to communicate with your sponsored child. You may even be blessed like I was and meet him/her! Let me know if you sponsor a child and I can send you the photos I have of them from when we were there or share with you any stories I have from our time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment